Dataset Reference Tag Not Receiving in MQTT Engine

I have Ignition Reference dataset tags that are sending data via MQTT Transmission to Mosquitto, to which MQTT Engine is subscribed. Generally this is working well. However, in some cases I’m receiving this error on the Engine side:

java.lang.NullPointerException: Cannot invoke "Object.getClass()" because "value" is null
at com.cirruslink.mqtt.common.util.SparkplugUtils.convertToIgnitionDataset(SparkplugUtils.java:720)
at com.cirruslink.mqtt.engine.gateway.sparkplug.SparkplugBPayloadHandler.getIgnitionValue(SparkplugBPayloadHandler.java:1712)
at com.cirruslink.mqtt.engine.gateway.sparkplug.SparkplugBPayloadHandler.handleNodeBirth(SparkplugBPayloadHandler.java:412)
at com.cirruslink.mqtt.engine.gateway.sparkplug.SparkplugPayloadHandler.handlePayload(SparkplugPayloadHandler.java:171)
at com.cirruslink.mqtt.engine.gateway.EngineCallback.lambda$messageArrived$1(EngineCallback.java:247)
at java.base/java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(Unknown Source)
at java.base/java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(Unknown Source)
at java.base/java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

The payload seems fine in MQTT FX, and the payload processes properly as JSON. Any suggestions as to where I can troubleshoot? I unfortunately cannot post the contents of the file.

I believe this was a known issue that was fixed in the currently nightly build. Can you upgrade and see if it resolves your issue?

Latest nightly Engine is here: Nightly Module Builds - MQTT Modules for Ignition 8.x - Confluence
Version compatibility is here: Ignition Compatibility with Cirrus Link Modules - MQTT Modules for Ignition 8.x - Confluence

The current nightly builds are supported on Ignition back to 8.1.2.

1 Like

Also - if you are running in production and want to wait until the official release is available, that should be released before the end of this month. It might be worth sanity testing the nightly in a development environment just to make sure it will work properly once the official release is ready too.

Thanks Wes - I will give this a try, we are on a dev system for the moment. I may drop it into a limited production capacity provided the sanity testing goes well, as I have a pretty tight timeline for this project.

This did resolve the issue - thanks! I’ll let it bake over the weekend in dev and report back any findings.